San Antonio Spurs: Takeaways from NBA.com’s All-Decade team release
Copyright 2016 NBAE (Photos by Chris Covatta/NBAE via Getty Images)
NBA.com released its All-Decade Team, commemorating the league’s best players from 2009-10 to 2018-19. The San Antonio Spurs, the league’s most winningest team over that span, were mostly well-represented. Here are a few takeaways from the press release.
For the NBA, early-August usually represents the dog days for basketball fans.
More from Hoops Habit
With the bridge between the past season and the upcoming season somewhere down the middle, the league — at least temporarily gave the hoops world something something to clamor over with the surprise “All-Decade Teams” press release.
It was there that the NBA recognized its most productive superstars over the past decade (from 2009-10 to 2018-19). The San Antonio Spurs were recognized with one former player (Kawhi Leonard), as well as a current one (LaMarcus Aldridge). For reference and future discussion purposes, here’s a quick look at the full lists:
All-Decade First Team:
- Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
- James Harden, Oklahoma City Thunder/Houston Rockets
- LeBron James, Cavaliers/Heat/Lakers
- Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder/Golden State Warriors
- Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs/Toronto Raptors
All-Decade Second Team:
- Chris Paul, Hornets/Clippers/Rockets
- Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Anthony Davis, Pelicans
- Blake Griffin, LA Clippers/Detroit Pistons
- Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets/Knicks/Thunder/Rockets
All-Decade Third Team:
- Dwyane Wade, Heat/Bulls/Cavaliers
- Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
- Paul George, Indiana Pacers/Oklahoma City Thunder
- LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers/San Antonio Spurs
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
The reaction to the release has created enough buzz to potentially carry us through the rest of the summer. Kobe Bryant fans, LaMarcus Aldridge fans, and everyone in between had let their opinion be heard, and above all else, it generates some excitement for how 2019-20 could play out.
Focusing solely on the Spurs, there were a few major takeaways based on both how the All-Decade teams were interpreted by the media, as well as questioning a few of a choices altogether.
All that considered, it’s time to look at five takeaways and questions from the NBA’s official All-Decade selections.